Thursday, February 21, 2008

Celine.. Wonderful Vocalist? Yes. Wonderful Lip Syncer Too? Yes...


Now I will preface this the same way I did the description to the video on YouTube.. I LIKE Celine Dion. I think she is an amazing singer and I KNOW that she has sung live at many countless performances. HOWEVER, when I was watching her special on CBS in America, my ears could not help but notice that during "Taking Chances," what I was hearing was EXACTLY the same as the version on the CD. As in, the vocals and instrumentals in that performance did not differ at all from the CD.

Now, I understand that artists do this in many televised performances and for some reason, that has become acceptable to the general public. Personally I was very disappointed that Celine, who is fully capable of singing her music live, would stoop to the level of Ashlee Simpson and Britney Spears.

Even though I was disappointed, I wasn't going to make any big deal about it, because there was just no reason to for one instance. But I got on YouTube. Great YouTube. And in searching for video of the CBS special, I found 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, more instances of Celine doing the exact same thing (lip syncing Taking Chances to her CD) in different performances around the world.

At this point, I felt that fact could not be overlooked. I decided to compile the videos I'd found into one video, syncing them all together the best that I could, to show how bizarre their thought process prior to these performances must have been.

In the day of YouTube where all video is global, they should have realized that SOMEONE would take notice of this.

So, can I please just say: when you're someone like Celine Dion, you're held to a higher level than most other performers in the industry. If you wish to preserve your voice for a world-wide tour and decide that not singing live for the specials promoting said tour would be best, so be it, but don't fake it. Do interviews, show behind the scenes footage, anything other than pretending to be singing when you're clearly not.

I have your CD Celine; I am capable of listening to that on my own.

See for yourself:

1 comments:

Andrea said...

As I explain on Youtube, I totally agree with you. I was waiting for the CBS special, to hear AT LEAST ONE of her new songs live, but she did none. I was so disappointed that I decided not to go to her live concert here in London..even if I've been waiting this moment for more than 10 years.
And yet, after watching a video of her live performance in South Africa I understood that she still CAN sing.

But this doesn't cancel my sadness. Not only she use to sing playback a lot, but she also uses pre-recorded version of live songs, as she did in Las Vegas. Sorry but THIS is cheating your fan. And you can verify it if u have the patience to confront some bootlegs of A New Day.. from a prerson like CĂ©line, I expect more honesty. She don't have to pretend to be something that she isn't.
If you voice is a bit change,or it's not perfect as once, just admit it and sing something that you can really sing.


P.s.: hey, you did a mess with that vid on youtube!haha.. I can't stand those kind of fans like "She NEVER sings in playback"..shut up..