Wednesday, March 12, 2008

TV Ratings Are Stupid


So this is a little random, but it just crossed my mind:

Nielsen, the company responsible for putting out TV ratings, gets their statistics by tracking what people are watching, and how old those people are, for 5,000 TVs. In the United States of America, it is estimated that there are.. wait for it.. 99 MILLION homes with TVs in them, not to mention SEVERAL TVs within most homes.

So, maybe it's just me, but that don't make much sense. Basically, about 1,500 people that are tracked by Nielsen have to have American Idol on for them to say that 30 million Americans are watching......

Does this make sense to anyone else??

It's not just because I hate American Idol that I say this, but come on, in the days of TiVo, Internet, and everything else, you'd think there would be a little more accurate way of coming up with those ratings besides tracking 5,000 (probably lame) people.

I'm just saying...

0 comments: