Friday, April 4, 2008

Adam's Advice: What to do... Adventure

Today's question comes from YouTube viewer, Zach.

Which reminds me, if you've stumbled across this page not having visited my website or YouTube channel, check them out!

RuckitUp.com and www.youtube.com/ruckitup

Anyway, here's the sitch:

I've been in college for 4 years, and in the fall I'm off to graduate school for another 5 or 6 years. Trouble is, I'll be OLD by the time I'm done with that. I think my youth is very precious, and having just seen "Into the Wild" and read "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac, I just want to adventure while I'm still young. At the same time, I shouldn't pass up this opportunity of graduate school. And I have this summer to go do something crazy. The question is: what should I do? Where should I go? Should I bring anyone? Seeking fun, adventure, and advice, Zach

OK well first of all, I have to say: congrats on being about ready to graduate college. I myself have two years left and I know how hard it is to focus on anything during that time so good for you on getting that far.

I think I enjoyed your question so much because it's what I'm going through right now as well. Though I'm still in school, I'm trying to decide where to go to finish my degree, whether or not that involves moving, what I'll study, etc. It's all too much for me to decide at such a young age. Though I'm beginning to realize that 20 isn't exactly "young," I still don't believe I should already know what I want to do for the rest of my life and be stuck with it forever.

Not to mention: once you graduate college, you ain't a kid no mo'. Which means you have to get a job and stay there for a while. (Which, I'll be honest, is not that easy for me to do. Not cuz I get fired, but because I get bored). So I'm not in TOO much of a hurry.

But back to you, I definitely think you should go on some sort of adventure. I myself took two semesters in the last few years to take a break from the monotony of school and do something that I considered crazy. (WARNING: THINGS THAT SEEM CRAZY TO ME MAY AND PROBABLY WILL NOT SEEM 'CRAZY' TO YOU) The first, right out of high school, I got a job at The Olive Garden and took vocal and acting lessons, rather than going straight into college.

After this semester I know several things:

  • A lot about wine (from The Olive Garden)
  • I'm not a very good songwriter
  • I will never work in the food service industry again
And I'm grateful for that.

Another semester, I took an internship at Walt Disney World and moved to Orlando for four months. An adventure that I'm sure everyone that knows me is already sick and tired of hearing about but one about which I will probably never stop talking. I could go on and on about what I learned during that semester, but I won't, just trust me.

I probably learned more about myself and life in general during those two semesters than I will in the remaining time I have in college. Which is why I'm highly supportive of your decision to do whatever it is you decide to do.

My recommendation for you:
I recently watched The Darjeeling Limited, and although I didn't necessarily understand everything in the movie, I did come away with one thing: it would probably be freaking AWESOME to take a long trip on a train. You know, where you have your own mini-train-hotel room and everything. I would probably take some cross-country trip to Chicago and then DC just in time for the 4th of July celebrations.
If that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, road trips of any sort can always be fun. Just keep the driving to 8 hours or less, something you can do in one day. Anything more and you'll want to run your car into a wall by the end, which you might do anyway on accident for being so tired.
I like photography so I'd probably go somewhere picturesque but not necessarily tourist-happy. Tourists can absolutely drain the life out of you. They're always in such a hurry to get somewhere ELSE rather than just slowing down and enjoying where they are.

And as far as bringing anyone with you, that's up to you. Ultimately this trip is about you. So if there is someone or someone-s that you can bring along with you that you KNOW there won't be any issues of annoyance with that could potentially ruin the trip for you, then great, they will only add to the enjoyment. (Author Note: the previous sentence was RIDICULOUSLY long). Otherwise, 86 the companions.

I myself would probably find a friend to go with. I can only go so long singing to the same songs on my iPod to entertain myself.

Some ideas to consider:
  • Get your kicks on Route 66
  • Take a hot air balloon ride
  • Hike/Camp in a National Park
  • White water rafting
  • Disney World...
  • Go to Idaho.. I don't know anyone that's ever been there (no offense if that's where you live)
  • Help build a Habitat for Humanity home.. they build them everywhere and that would definitely be a moving experience..
  • Find an upcoming concert that you want to go to in ANOTHER city and use that as a basis for your road trip to wherever that may be.
Whatever you decide to do, have fun. Use the time to NOT focus on everything else (SCHOOL). Don't take your laptop, don't check your e-mail, let your phone go to voicemail. There will be plenty of time for that when you get back.

Just enjoy the moment.

E-mail me YOUR question! ruckitup@gmail.com

1 comments:

Insolent Muffin said...

I have to say, this post was inspiring. Maybe enough to make me do some wandering of my own this summer.