Tuesday, April 8, 2008

You Were Always On My Mind...

OK maybe you weren't always on my mind, I just needed a somewhat clever title for this entry which is to be about what is on my mind.

Long ago on this or one of my several other attempts at having a blog I made a pledge to never be serious. Because seriously, I like making people laugh, not think. But then you know, life happens and you can't help but change your plans sometimes.

Yesterday I found out that a woman at my church died suddenly at the age of 34. We didn't even know each other very well, but I did have the opportunity to work with her for a short period of time and in that period I realized that we had similar qualities which I think is why this has been so hard to deal with.

Vanessa was a healthy, dedicated, and driven person. She worked in nearly every different department at the church and impacted literally thousands of people. When I interacted with her it was in leading worship and designing shirts for the bookstore. I've been in sort of just a lull since hearing about her passing and I've started to at least try to reevaluate some of my priorities. I was able to see how Vanessa used her life as a service for others while getting to do the things that she loved and that is what I want for my life too.

It is in times like these that you 'decide to make changes' and 'vow to live this way' but when the impact of the event wears off so does your resolve. I hope and pray that this time it sticks. I don't want to be able to think that any part of my life was wasted. I want to know at the end of the day that I used my time and talents wisely.

So, ya, that's what on my mind. Writing it out was as much for me as it is for anyone else.

http://fellowshipchurch.com/vanessa

0 comments: