Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I watched Pirates of the Caribbean 3.. And I actually liked it!

So a couple nights ago I decided to RedBox the latest in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, At World's End. After barely staying awake during its predecessor, and hearing mostly all negative reviews (from friends and critics and critic-friends), I went into this viewing experience with virtually no expectations and I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out that I thoroughly enjoyed it!

At World's End holds several distinctions: it was the highest grossing film of 2007, it garnered two Academy Award nominations, and it is the only American-made film of the last 10 years not to feature actor Fred Willard.
At the beginning of the film I was under the slight impression that it may be a musical, considering everyone was singing, but luckily that didn't flesh out.

There were several moments that stood out as "especially entertaining" to me:

First of all, I loved the little monkey.. We got to see Little Monkey Shooting Fireworks, Little Monkey Shivering, Little Monkey with a Gun. Each time the monkey was on screen, he easily stole the scene, yet he still reportedly received a wage much smaller than that of Johnny Depp...

There was also an Eddie Murphy, Meet Dave, moment when little Jack Sparrows crawled out of normal-sized Jack Sparrow's ears and began talking to him. Perhaps this is where Eddie Murphy got the inspiration for his upcoming film, which is no doubt bound to be the worst of the year?

My favorite moment, I think, was near the beginning when Jack and Barbossa are arguing over who will captain the ship.. which can be seen in this clip at 2 minutes and 40 seconds.
[Barbossa is giving orders and Jack repeats the order]
Barbossa: What are you doin'?
Jack Sparrow: What are *you* doin'?
Barbossa: No, what *are* you doin'?
Jack Sparrow: What are *you* doin'?
Barbossa: *No!* What *are* you doin'?
Jack Sparrow: What are *you* doin'? Captain gives orders on the ship.
Barbossa: The captain of the ship *is* givin' orders.
Jack Sparrow: My ship, makes me captain.
Barbossa: They be my charts!
Jack Sparrow: Well, that makes you
[pause]
Jack Sparrow: chartman.
Pintel: Stow it! Both of you! That's an order! Understand?
[Jack and Barbossa stare at him]
Pintel: Sorry. I just thought with the Captain issue in doubt, I'd throw my name in for consideration, sorry.

So to those who told me it was horrible I say: chill back!

Cuz I liked it!

RuckitUp@Gmail.com
www.RuckitUp.com

0 comments: