Friday, September 19, 2008

What's a 9 letter word for Overstatement of the Year?

So I have a subscription to the New York Times... OK and before you go calling me a loser: I HAVE to have this subscription for the purposes of my journalism classes, OK? So calling me a loser will not affect me because I already know I am one. Believe me... anyway, so my subscription to NYT allows me to get awesome e-mails like this one I received this morning (pay close attention to the first four lines of text):Several thoughts were included in my reaction to this e-mail:

  1. It scares me to think that the most reputable American newspaper (in some peoples' minds) clearly has no idea what the word SPECTACULAR means. I would reserve the word "spectacular" for special occasions like when an 8-month-old baby takes the wheel from his seizure-suffering mother and safely steers them off the highway overpass. I would not use the word "spectacular" to describe this cookie jar.
  2. Does NYT even know that this ad exists? Cuz If they had seen it I would hope they wouldn't have sent the words "Now the New York Times covers not only the issues and news -- but also your oatmeal raisins and chocolate chips," to all their readers.
  3. Retail value of $64.95?! Are you kidding me? Do they sell this at Tiffany's or something? I would expect to see this at Big Lots for $9.95 (and frankly, probably will in about 2 weeks). Besides, who uses cookie jars anymore anyway?
Just thought I'd pass this along... Who knows, maybe I'm crazy and this cookie jar will be the next Tickle Me Elmo... It IS getting close to Christmas time!

PS: the answer is H-Y-P-E-R-B-O-L-E

E-mail Me! RuckitUp@Gmail.com
Check Out My Website: RuckitUp.com
Pass it On:

0 comments: