Thursday, October 9, 2008

Craiglist was really named after "Craig"

As I twittered yesterday, I went to see Craig Newmark, the founder of craigslist.org speak. At first I was the only one sitting on the front row (the row designated for students), which made me feel quite awkward. I'm not a front row person (except at concerts). Thankfully more people joined me just a few moments before his speech.

The lecture was part of a series sponsored by a philanthropy organization so he tried to relate most of the things he said to some sort of service-- I was more interested in just how craigslist got started in the first place.

Apparently it was just an email list that he sent event notifications to- turned website version of the list- turned multi-city online classifieds phenomenon.

I very much enjoyed the talk- if only for his geeky attempts at jokes. But at least he owned up to them. He kinda reminded me of Woz, but not QUITE as nerdy.

PS: Craig is the one on the left in the picture. The guy on the right with his arms folded did not stand there the entire time, though I wish he had; that would have been hilarious.

PSS: Have you ever stopped and taken a good look at the name "CRAIG"? It's kinda a really bizarre word. Why isn't it C-R-E-G? Or C-R-A-G-U-E.

Just thinking out loud there...

Follow me@twitter.com/adamrucker
E-mail Me! RuckitUp@Gmail.com
Check Out My Website: RuckitUp.com
Pass it On:

1 comments:

I design. said...

I just read your blog for the first time (I think I stumbled upon it from a youtube facebook breakup video) and I'm pretty sure I now have a crush on you.

You're hilarious and awesome. Keep posting because I want to keep reading. :)