Monday, November 10, 2008

If my dreams are any indication, I have issues.

So last night I had the fifth in a series of disaster-related dreams I've had over the past year or so. The first four dreams all centered around me witnessing a plane crash and rushing to get my camera to take pictures and video, rather than rushing to help the victims.

In the dreams, I say to myself, "If I can get the first footage and get this on YouTube, it'll be on CNN and I'll be famous," horrible, I know. Also in each dream, dream-me remembers the previous plane crash dreams I've had before and thinks that all the dreams before were preparing me for this time which is for real. But it's not.

Last night, rather than witnessing a plane crash, I saw a concrete truck explode.Random, I know, but it was a dream so it's supposed to be weird.

So I'm watching from my car and at the sight of the explosion I immediately fumble through my backpack searching for the camera I always keep with me (in real and dream life). I find the camera, get out of the car, and begin taking pictures of the disaster. All of a sudden a fireman nearby looks at me and starts yelling "I can't believe you would take pictures of this! Someone died down there! How disrespectful."

I felt mixed emotions after being told off by the fire fighter. One, I felt awful for taking advantage of the situation, but two I felt that it was my right (as a student reporter) to take pictures of the scene to preserve evidence.

Now I don't really know what to think. I have dreams like this all the time and in EVERY case I run for my camera, hoping that this will be the video that nabs me YouTube fame. But then I wake up and feel like I'm the worst person in the world for thinking that.

Anyway, so if anyone out there interprets dreams, feel free to tell me what's going on in my head.I'd love to know.

Follow me@twitter.com/adamrucker
E-mail Me! RuckitUp@Gmail.com
Check Out My Website: RuckitUp.com
Pass it On:
Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Interpretation: The cement means you feel stuck with journalism right now and the firefighter questioning you is really you questioning yourself. I am a genius.

Also, the firefighter was dumb. If the disaster happens in a public place, you can take as many photos as you want provided it doesn't interfere with the work of the firefighters.

C&C said...

Funny. We had conversations exactly like these in Rusty's class... To take pictures or to help... What to do. If you're reaching for your camera, I'm thinking maybe you are in the right major...