Thursday, January 22, 2009

Oscar Nominations 2009: Sad day for Miley

Well the 2009 Academy Award nominations were announced today, and yet again Oscar voters proved that they couldn't care less about movies that normal people actually see. Instead there was a spattering of predictable and boring nominations of films we've never heard of, with the occasional exciting nomination. Exciting, if only for the fact that I recognized the film's title.

I've seen two of the 5 movies nominated for Best Picture (Benjamin Button and Slumdog Millionaire) and out of all of them I'm pulling for Slumdog because I think it would really tick off the people that made The Reader and Benjamin Button. And especially since I've recently learned that BB was nearly the exact same movie as Forrest Gump, I lost some respect for it. Though I am pulling for "Queenie" from BB, Taraji P. Henson, for best supporting actress since she totally rocked my world in that movie.

I've determined that if Meryl Streep stars in any movie, she WILL get a nomination, no matter what. They're probably afraid that she will kill them. Because seriously, if any actress in Hollywood could make that happen, it would be Streep.I'm sure Oscar voters were thrilled that Doubt came out in time for Oscar consideration so they didn't have to suffer the embarrassment of nominating her for her role in Mamma Mia!

Disney has much cause to celebrate today as two of their CGI films this year were nominated for best animated feature: BOLT and Pixar's Wall-E, which will surely take the win. Kung Fu Panda was also nominated. I admit that Panda was a great film, but it's no where near being in the league of Wall-E.As I mentioned earlier, this must be a sad day for Miley Cyrus, as the song she co-wrote for Bolt, "I Thought I Lost You," was not nominated in the best original song category as it was for the Golden Globes. Therefore, my support goes to Peter Gabriel and "Down to Earth" from Wall-E.

Lastly, I'm really excited, though not surprised at all that Presto, the short animated film played before Wall-E, was nominated. It was definitely one of my favorite Pixar shorts yet, right up there with For the Birds.

And that's pretty much all I care about!

What are your thoughts on the Oscars? Do you even care about them anymore? Pixar is basically all that's keeping me...

Follow me@twitter.com/adamrucker
E-mail Me! RuckitUp@Gmail.com
Check Out My Website: RuckitUp.com
Pass it On:
Add to Technorati Favorites

0 comments: