Tuesday, September 8, 2009

90210 / Melrose Place Premiere Reviews

The new season of 90210 debuted tonight on the CW, and we picked up at the end of summer school. Naomi, Silver, and Adriana spend a majority of their time relaxing at the country club, while Annie mopes around the new family house, upset that she ran over some random dude (in the season finale) and still hasn't told anybody.

Gone were the bright splashy colors of season one-- traded for darker tones, darker music, and darker storylines. Ethan's departure was acknowledged via a text message to Silver saying that he had moved away. New character Teddy established himself as the male version of Naomi, and Silver and Dixon continued their on again off again relationship, while Annie hooked up with another new character, Mark.

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode, though the new direction that the show is taking could take a while to get used to. I mean seriously, the background music was like a horror movie at times. It was weird.
Melrose Place continued 90210's dark and twisty theme with a storyline that begins with the murder of Sydney Andrews, Melrose Place's landlord, and a character from the original series played by Laura Leighton.
The episode introduces us to the dramatic characters: Ella and David, the quirky couple: Riley and Jonah, and others: Auggie, Lauren, and Violet (played by Ashlee Simpson-Wentz).

My favorite line of the episode easily went to this one:
David: Everybody's gonna think that we hooked up.
Ella: Ehh- it gives them something to tweet about.

Reference Twitter, and you're a winner in my book.

Several hints were dropped throughout the episode for as to who may have murdered Sydney, but they all point in different directions. It seems this will be a storyline that carries over several episodes and possible the entire season, ala Veronica Mars.

Melrose Place... It was good but probably a little too much drama for me to handle on a weekly basis. Also, Ashlee's acting was painful to watch, but luckily she only had about 4 lines in the entire episode.

This may be a show I either skip out on entirely or just catch up on when the DVDs come out.. We'll see. I'll give it another chance next week.

What about you?

What did you think of the new feel of 90210 and the reboot of Melrose Place? Leave your thoughts in the comments or reply to me at Twitter.com/AdamRucker

Follow me@twitter.com/adamrucker
E-mail Me! RuckitUp@Gmail.com
Check Out My Website: RuckitUp.com
Pass it On:
Add to Technorati Favorites

1 comments:

iamrobyn said...

I haven't had a chance to watch Melrose Place yet, but 90210... frick. The introduction killed it for me. It used to be so Beverley Hills and glamorous, and now it looks like a grade 10 student made it. I'm thankful I don't get a heart attack (duh-duh duh-duh!) every episode anymore, but still. I want the old intro back!!