Friday, April 16, 2010

The Definitive List of Classic Movies I've Never Seen

Over the past 22 years of my life I have seen many, MANY movies. I couldn't begin to try to count them all. But it has come to my attention that while I may have seen a great number of movies, I have NOT viewed a number of classic films, which I should have seen, "if you are a human being," according to many of my friends.

In order to retain my status as a true "human being," I decided that I should set out to view these films. So I've made a list of the classic movies I've never seen, and I invite you to share your thoughts on them.

Back to the Future:Yes, it's hard to believe, but I've never seen this Michael J. Fox classic or any of its sequels. I would like to think that I have a pass on this one since it came out two years before my birth (1985), but still, given that it's an all-time favorite of many of my friends, it goes to the top of my must-see list.

The Sound of Music:It came as a shock to many of my musical friends when I mistakenly mumbled during conversation concerning The Sound of Music, "Oh... Ya, never saw that." The silence and tension that followed was palpable. I feel like I should see this movie, but it's nearly 3 hours long! I'm not sure I can handle that much "do a deer"ing.

Bambi:I think I never saw this one cuz my sister was scared of it when she saw it, and as a result, I never got to see it either. Alice in Wonderland and Old Yeller fall into the same boat. As a pretty big fan of Disney movies, the not-seeing of these films probably causes the most cognitive dissonance in me.

The Princess Bride:Don't know much about this movie other than that everyone I've ever known has referenced it at least once in conversation. Also never seen Ghostbusters.

Braveheart: My brother practically won't talk to me since I've never seen this, one of his favorite movies. I've also never seen Last of the Mohicans, which for the longest time I thought was the same movie as Braveheart. Whoops. Similarly, haven't seen Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan, or Schindler's List.

Terminator:Or any of the Terminator movies, for that matter.

The Silence of the Lambs:
I've never been one for really scary movies. I mean, the scariest movies I've ever seen are The 6th Sense and What Lies Beneath, which is why I haven't seen this or another classic, Psycho. I did see Paranormal Activity, however, and that was more laughable than scary, IMO.

Rudy:I know, I know, I'm practically not even American anymore. I've never seen this OR the classic Field of Dreams, but I have seen Remember the Titans and Angels in the Outfield, so that's basically the same, right?

So this, I believe, accounts for the most classic movies that I've never seen.

What do you think? Am I out of my mind? Have you seen all of these?

Should I skip any? (I finally watched A Christmas Story for the first time this year and it was a total snooze.)

Lemme know in the comments and at Twitter.com/AdamRucker

Follow me@twitter.com/adamrucker
E-mail Me! RuckitUp@Gmail.com
Check Out My Website: RuckitUp.com
Pass it On:
Add to Technorati Favorites

3 comments:

Sammy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jaclynclaire.com said...

Back to the Future, any Disney and Princess Bride are somewhat criminal offenses, haha.

I've actually seen all of these, but some only recently (at 22/23) so I guess I can't be THAT shocked/appalled at some of these. I saw Rudy and Braveheart in classes in high school, and the only thing that finally got me to watch Terminator (and Jaws actually) -- even though I felt like I already knew the whole stories just from everyone else talking about them, was because my senior year of college I did a paper for a COMM-Film class about great blockbusters of the 80s, so it was sort of necessary.

Twitter: @jaclyncullen
www.jaclynclaire.com

VioletEyes87 said...

I've also never seen Braveheart, The Last of the Mohicans, Saving Private Ryan, Old Yeller, or the Silence of the Lambs. I'm not sure that I'm really interested in seeing any of them except for maybe Last of the Mohicans and Old Yeller. But, I highly recommend Back to the Future, Terminator, Gladiator, and Alice in Wonderland (even though it's a little freaky). Sound of Music, Bambi, and Princess Bride are definitely classics, but I'm more neutral about them.