Sunday, January 29, 2012

Cougar Town Viewing Party - Austin, Texas

What do you get when you mix an incredibly funny cast with a terrible title for a TV show?

Cougar Town!

Yes, a town of cougars seeking to date younger men headed up by Courtney Cox is how this show's premise began. Nowadays, Courtney and her gang of neighbors/wine buddies deliver a consistently hilarious sitcom about drinking wine and hanging out with friends every single week. Well, it was every week until ABC took it off the air with no set return date. That really sucked big time.

But I'm ready to put the past behind me because ABC is bringing the Cul-de-sac Crew (that's what they call themselves) back together for 15 episodes beginning Tuesday, February 14. So cancel those Valentine's Day plans everyone! Or if you don't have any Valentine's Day plans, continue to not have any plans, everyone!

I was lucky enough to be invited to one of the Cougar Town Viewing Parties organized by the show's producers during the hiatus as a way to thank the fans for their support. The party I attended was held on January 28 at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, Texas. Hundreds of people packed the Drafthouse for the party, and let me tell you: it was fan-flipping-tastic!Kevin Biegel, who created the show along with Bill Lawrence (Scrubs anyone?), was there with writer Blake McCormick and cast members Ian Gomez (Come on!) and Dan Byrd.

The show bought drinks for everyone in the audience and brought along three brand new episodes to watch, including the season premiere and episodes four and five. Now, I'm not one to spoil TV shows so I'm not gonna say what goes down, but I will say that imaginary hats were tipping all over the place after each episode aired (that's Cougar Town speak meaning they were REALLY good).

And also, I WILL be "sharking" someone's car very soon after the season premiere airs so watch out, friends.

Episode five features several references to classic Disney movie music as well as a special reuniting of some of the Scrubs gang (including one of my favorites, Sarah Chalk) that inspired such thunderous applause and laughter that we could barely hear what they were saying on screen. Worth it.Finally, after the episodes aired they did a short Q&A session, gave out a signed script, and played PENNY CAN to give away autographed authentic Bobby Cobb penny cans! (I didn't win anything, but had fun nonetheless.)It was a great night with tons o' laughs, my friends. Tons o' laughs.

Now for your homework: WATCH Cougar Town Tuesdays at 8:30/7:30c on ABC and tell all your friends to too!

The conversation can go something like this:

YOU: You know that show Cougar Town on ABC?

YOUR FRIEND: You mean that terrible show about Monica from Friends dating young guys?

YOU: No, but see, no, no that's not what it's about at all. Actually, it's awesome.

YOUR FRIEND: Seriously?

YOU: Yes, seriously. You should watch it, and if you don't, we can't be friends anymore.

YOUR FRIEND: Fine, I guess we aren't friends anymore.

YOU: OK, OK, OK, we can still be friends. Watch it and I'll buy you Chipotle.

YOUR FRIEND: Deal.

So, see? It'll just cost you one Chipotle to get your friend hooked on a great show and to make sure it comes back next year. And you get to keep your friend! Win, win, win!

See you on Valentine's Day!


Follow me on Twitter! @adamrucker and @ruckermore

2 comments:

The Grumpy Toast said...

Is that Louis from DWTS on the far left?!

I don't watch the show, but I've kept up with you from your old LOST recaps with Allison!

alyson said...

Found your blog through Bill Lawrence retweeting you. I'm jealous you got to go to one of the CT events. I'm also enjoying your blog as a whole!